Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bunchberry The smallest Dogwood

This dogwood(Cornus Canadensis) only grows eight inches tall. It looks like a miniature dogwood tree. The leaves are the same, the flowers are the same, everything about it is like a big dogwood, only tiny.


This native groundcover needs a cool shady spot with acid soil. Wood chips worked into the soil will help create the woodland forest floor conditions it thrives in.

I found some beautiful plants at the nursery today and fell in love with them. I can't wait to add them to the shade section for sale this Easter weekend. They are absolute teeny tiny perfection.


1 comment:

Garden Lily said...

I treasure my Cornus Canadensis. They take a while to establish, and then form patches as in your photo. I don't have berries like that yet - hopefully some year!